There has been a substantial expansion by the Commonwealth of PA of who is now considered to be a mandated reporter. All clergy, all employees working with children and those volunteers serving in schools, catholic charities and parish youth ministries are now classified as mandated reporters. To provide the knowledge needed to understand the responsibilities of a mandated reporter a new State approved training program has been provided through the University of Pittsburgh.
The online training MUST be completed now if you are currently involved with youth. This is a requirement of the Diocese of Harrisburg.
This training will take approximately 1.5 hours, but you may stop at the end of a unit at any time. You may then begin where you left off. Unlike the other training, there is no exam.
- Go to www.hbgdiocese.org/safeyouth/youth-protection-on-line-training
- Click on “Online Training”
- Click on “register to gain access” in the green login box. This will take you an introductory page will you will have to view a brief video from Bishop Gainer.
- After you view the video, go to the bottom of the page and click on “Begin Training”. This will take you to the University of Pittsburgh site where you will have to complete their form. They will then assign you a username and password. If you have already been to this site and have registered, use the username and password you created.
- Follow the steps given by the program.
- Please print out the certificate and then send it to the office.
If you have any questions, please contact Steve Douglas at the parish office (846-4935).